My name is Abigail Thomas and I am a fully certified music education specialist currently serving as a General Music teacher in Antioch, IL. After more than nine years as a General Music teacher I have had the opportunity to share an appreciation for music with over 2,000 students. Please continue reading discover a few highlights of my strengths and experiences.
Full resume available upon request.
Enthusiastic and experienced music education specialist with extensive experience in creating and delivering a compelling whole child centered music curriculum to a diverse population of background and need.
- Content Knowledge: Creative planner able to create conceptually rich standards based music lessons which include pre-planned differentiation techniques that assist in student comprehension. Solid knowledge base of current “best” teaching practices both in general education and music education, along with a drive to seek out new techniques and materials in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Organization: Experience in coordinating both large and small scale events either in a general or music setting such as school fundraisers, family involvement events, music concerts, school assemblies and arts festivals.
- Professional Leadership: Demonstrates strong leadership skills and eagerness to participate in educational/school/community initiatives. Experience serving on school improvement teams with a focus on creating SMART goals to assist in student growth. Skilled trainer in multiple knowledge areas and proficient in conducting staff training sessions and district workshops. Eloquent presentation skills that assist in delivering impactful, informative events.
- Classroom Management: Talent for employing a variety of classroom management techniques to establish a sensitive, welcoming learning environment that is based on acceptance and support of all learning styles, cultural backgrounds and differentiated needs. Understanding of common educational management philosophies such as Positive Behavior Intervention Supports (PBIS), Love and Logic and Whole Brain Teaching. Dedication towards establishing and communicating expectations and approaching behavior management with fidelity and transparency.
General Music Teacher, Antioch, IL.
- 2012 Golden Apple Nominee recognizing educational excellence.
- Expanded students’ knowledge in general music for Pre-K through 2nd Grade and assisted the strings program by teaching 1st grade strings lessons and/or classes as needed.
- Positively differentiated for a multitude of learning needs including students with IEP’s/504’s, self-contained Structured Learning Program (SLP) classrooms and the Preschool for All at-risk program.
- Directed up to 8 music events per year with an avg. of 150 students per event.
General Music Teacher & Long Term Substitute, Waukegan, IL.
- Taught general music to a diverse group of 1st and 2nd grades including bilingual classrooms.
- Substituted long term for 5th grade Art.
- Partnered with an at risk 1st grader as an interventionist resulting in measurable growth.
General Music Student Teacher, Decatur, IL.
- Interacted with a range of ages levels from Pre-K through 7th grade while delivering high quality music lessons to three vastly different school populations.
- Led multiple vocal ensembles including Show Choir and Glee Club.
- Gained valuable experience in classroom management through a variety of settings and cultures including a Montessori based magnet school, a military inspired magnet school and a public city school.
Master of Arts in Education, Mount Mary University, Milwaukee, WI (2012)
Bachelor of Music, Millikin University, Decatur, IL. (2005)
High School Diploma, Antioch Community High School, Antioch, IL. (2001)
Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with Music Endorsements Certified Vocal and Instrumental Music K-12
(Currently Enrolled, Partial Completion Towards) Waldorf Teacher Certification, Great Lakes Waldorf Institute, Milwaukee, WI
Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Certified